Work program series one: Blanca Limon

Senior Blanca Limon working at Subway

Senior Blanca Limon working at Subway

Connor Allen, Reporter

In a series of articles over the next few weeks, The Smoke Signal will follow some of the students at CHS who participate in the school’s work program. We hope to shed some light on the many different jobs our students do in the community, as well as present some of the challenges that come with balancing work and school.

It is tough for some teenagers in high school to balance both having a job and going to school at the same time, yet some students do it every day.

Comanche High School offers a work program for students who are employed outside of school, allowing them to leave early from school to attend work.One such student who participates in the work program is, senior, Blanca Limon who is employed at Subway. Limon mentions how she manages to balance both going to work and academics, along with having time to spend for herself.

“Well after school I have about an hour and a half to do all I need to do,” Limon said. “I usually go home right after I get out and then I have to go to work.”

Limon describes how her time for leisurely activities is sometimes limited by the amount of time on her hands.

“Yes at times I can enjoy staying at home and resting up,” Limon said. “But it’s really hard to have time for both my boyfriend and myself, with both a job and homework.”

Her time for studying and doing school work is also bumped up, and a major factor in how she manages her time at home.

“I actually have more time to study being on the work program,” Limon said. “I enjoy having that extra hour and half to do homework and such, but sometimes I feel like it’s still not enough.”

Limon’s real life experiences at her workplace have helped her gain more than money, but friendships and loyalty.

“The greatest thing about having a job is the people I work with,” Limon said. “The friends I gain there with co-workers and customers can’t be replaced.

Along with responsibilities of a job, come responsibilities and abilities learned from interacting with people outside of school.

“Working at Subway has taught me so much,” Limon said. “My job is teaching me communication skills that is helping me prepare for life after high school.”

Money is always a major issue when it comes to a job, whether it be a good thing or a bad thing, but Limon explains what she uses her money for and how it helps her manage personal finances.

“I work to have money for school and to help out my dad with money,” Limon said. “ I usually put it in my savings, but I use it for food, bills, and important things in life that I know I will need for the future.”