Astronomy classes host star party for elementary

Seniors Ty McCullough and Angel Garza explain the phases of the moon at the star party

Carly Mazurek

Carly Mazurek

Georgia Harris and Carly Mazurek

The high school astronomy department merged with the elementary to hold a star party for the 4th and 5th graders on February 3.

According to astronomy teacher Marty Wyatt there was a turnout of over 100 people.

“It was a huge success,” Wyatt said. “The number of people that attended far exceeded our expectations.  The response from those attending was very positive. We plan to hold these every two years so that each of the 4th and 5th graders are exposed to the constellations, moon phases and telescopes. In order to allow more viewing through the telescope, we are planning to have a few more scopes available so that each person can have a little more ‘scope time.’”

The high school students were divided into five groups to guide the visitors to the four stations. At these stations, people watched presentations by students about our solar system, looked through the telescope and learned the location of constellations. Students also snacked on hot chocolate and cookies and were able to purchase toys from the “Space store.”

“It was great to get involved with the community,” Senior presenter Kimberly Bills said. “I enjoyed sharing something that I am passionate about with the youth.”