Three teams qualify for state Small Schools Academic Challenge

Superintendent Gary Speegle presents Angie Evans, Gaby Sanchez, and Zack Johnson with scholarship money after qualifying for the state Small Schools Academic Challenge

Connor Allen, Reporter

All three Small Schools teams will advance to the Texas Association of Community Schools Academic Challenge (TACSAC) state competition at the University of Mary Hardin Baylor in Belton on Apr. 9, where they will enter for a chance to win thousands of dollars in scholarship money and college opportunities.

TACSAC  is an academic competition that tests the knowledge, skills and comprehension of information learned throughout high school. The contest consists of a 60 question test and teams of three students who range from A, B, and C level students.

Small Schools coach Heather Cuellar is very proud that all three teams from CHS will advance to state.

“I was proud of the performance of all three our teams,” Cuellar said. “I think there are around 40 teams competing at the state tournament. Any of our teams have the potential to win scholarship money at the state meet.”

The team consisting of Angie Evans, Zachary Johnson, and Gaby Sanchez placed second in the contest and won $745 in scholarship money.

“I think at the beginning we struggled [and] we missed a lot of questions,” Evans said. “After the break, we shook off our nerves and made a huge comeback. Looking to the future, I plan to focus on time reviewing and studying. We have great potential to do well in state.”

Evans’ team started off slow, not getting very many points in the beginning, but quickly picked up the pace to keep in the running for the cash prize, finishing behind only the team from Brady High School.

“I feel like our team did fairly well,” Johnson said. “In comparison to the other teams, ours had a rough start but we came around to tie with Brady for a tie-breaker round, which we lost by one point. Honestly from my point of view some of the questions were a little difficult, but now we know what to expect.”
Other teams moving on to the state meet from Comanche consist of Grayland Jackson, Clayton Martin, and Brannan Colb and the team of Hunter Ellis, Connor Allen, and Joseph Rivera.

1 Comment

One Response to “Three teams qualify for state Small Schools Academic Challenge”

1. Nagawa Sophi on March 10th, 2017 5:21 am

Hello Connor Allen,
    It is very nice that your blog is encourages academic excellence and creativity of students. I would like to draw your attention towards our fellowship named as “Coca-Cola NCAA March Madness Bracket Refresh Promotion” and application Deadline is “March 23th, 2017”. The contest is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States (or the District of Columbia) who are 13 years of age or older and who have a Coke.com or MCR account at the time of entry.

For more information regarding the application students can visit the following link:
    http://usascholarships.com/coca-cola-ncaa-march-madness-bracket-refresh-promotion/

Candidates can get latest updates regarding various education scholarships, fellowships, awards and competitions through our given Face book page:
    https://www.facebook.com/MyUSAScholarships?fref=ts

If you are interested in reading articles on Scholarship, Thank You Letter, Award and many more, kindly check the given link:
    http://usascholarships.com/category/article/

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.