Boys golf captures district title

The boys golf team won district. Pictured are Dev Bhakta, Jaret Pate, Bronte Hermesmeyer, Kasey Middleton, Kade Mercer, and Thomas Ramirez.

Bronte Hermesmeyer, Editor

The Comanche Indian and Maiden golf teams competed in the second and final round of district on Monday, April 3. The final round was played at PAR Country Club near Proctor, and the Comanche Indians captured the district championship.

The golfers that competed on the boys district championship team were Bronte Hermesmeyer (75), Kasey Middleton (70), Kade Mercer (100), Thomas Ramirez (98), and Jaret Pate (93).  After two rounds of district, the Indians totaled a cumulative score of 682. They shot a 346 last week at the Hideout and a 336 at PAR. That was enough to pull away from second place Brady, who shot a 708.

Freshman Kasey Middleton captured the district championship as an individual, as he shot a total of 145. Junior Bronte Hermesmeyer received the bronze medal with a 153.

“It was nice to play well on Monday and win a gold medal, especially as a freshman,” Middleton said. “I was pretty excited, but I was more pumped up with how our team played throughout district. We competed very well and brought back a district championship in golf to our school, which hasn’t been done in a while in Comanche. Now we will start preparing for regionals and try to earn a spot in the state tournament.”

The Indians now get to advance to the regional tournament on April 24-25 to compete for a chance to go to state. The regional tournament will be held at Shady Oaks Golf Course in Baird.

Maiden senior Molly Stephens shot a personal best 116. Sophomore Madelynn Welch shot a 123 and freshman Macey Brawler shot a 132. No Maiden golfers advanced to the regional tournament this year.

Also advancing to regionals for the Indians as a medalist is sophomore Dev Bhakta. Bhakta totaled a 187, a 98 at the Hideout and an 89 at PAR.