Hermesmeyer qualifies for state UIL academic contest

Bronte Hermesmeyer placed first in News Writing at the Regional UIL Academic Meet and qualified for state

Junior Bronte Hermesmeyer recently won first place in News Writing at the Region 1-AAA UIL Academic Meet . With the win, Hermesmeyer qualified for the state academic contest to be held at UT Austin on April 21

In addition, junior Wyatt Welch placed 6th in the Headline Writing contest.
Both Welch and Hermesmeyer competed against 24 other students, but only the top three competitors advanced to state.
“This is Wyatt’s first year to compete in headline writing, so I am very impressed with his performance,” journalism coach Leanne Ingram said. “I know he was hoping to advance, but the competition at regionals is tough and placing in the top six shows that with more practice he could go even further next year.”
Hermesmeyer barely missed advancing to state last year.
“After getting fifth last year, my goal was to get in the top three and make it to Austin,” Hermesmeyer said. “Once I went into the verification room and saw my name at the top of the list it was hard to believe I was actually going to state.”
Only the top 12 students in Texas advance to the state level. All students who qualify for the state contest are eligible to apply for a Texas Interscholastic League Foundation (TILF) scholarship. Several former CHS journalism students have won scholarship money through TILF.
“Bronte set a goal for himself to qualify for state this year and worked to accomplish that goal,” Ingram said. “He is a talented writer and a pleasure to coach; I am looking forward to seeing how he does at state.”
Since 2008, the Comanche journalism team has advanced at least one student to the state academic contest every year.
“I am very proud of the winning tradition of our journalism program,” Ingram said. “Our students work very hard and it seems to pay off each year. I hope we can continue to be successful and bring home scholarship money for our deserving students.”