18 students advance to Area Track Meet, Varsity Boys take 2nd place at district

Bronte Hermesmeyer, Editor

The Comanche Indian and Maiden track teams competed in the District 6-3A track meet last Tuesday and Wednesday in Early. The teams in the district meet included Comanche, Early, Coleman, Dublin, Bangs, and Brady.

The Indian varsity team placed second in the total standings, falling to Brady by 14 points. Although the Indians received the district runner up plaque, they managed to qualify twelve boys to the Area track meet.

The Indians qualified all three relays for the Area meet. The Indians advanced in the 4×100 relay (Jameson Allen, Colton Wilson, Chris Patterson, Caden Jones), 4×200 relay (Michael Constancia, Alan Schulte, Grayland Jackson, Ty McCullough), and 4×400 relay (Caden Jones, Ty McCullough, Grayland Jackson, Alan Schulte). In the 4×100, the Indians sprinted their way to a silver medal finishing only behind Bangs. The 4×200 relay raced their way to an enormous victory as they appeared to beat the other competitors by at least 100m. In fact, the 4×200 relay has a chance to break the school record this year, which currently stands at a 1:29:92 set back in 2005. The Indians came close to breaking the record at the Texas Relays when they posted a time of 1:30:20. In the 4×400 relay, there was a fantastic race between Comanche and Coleman. Coleman lead most of the first two laps until Alan Schulte passed a Bluecat on the third lap, and then Grayland Jackson finished the race off with a great final lap to secure a district championship in the 4×400 relay.

Others advancing to area are senior Alan Schulte who placed third in the 800m run and Jameson Allen who placed third in the 100m dash. Joe Gilligan won the gold medal in the 110m hurdles while setting a personal record time and received the bronze in the 300m hurdles. Ty McCullough finished second and Grayland Jackson third in the 200m dash.

The Indians also qualified three kids to the Area meet in field events. Junior Trevor Higginbotham jumped his way into the Area track meet as he qualified in both long jump and high jump. Also, juniors Matthew Hamilton and Gavin Farrar qualified in the discus throw. Both qualified for the finals in the 7 and 8 spot, but then threw ten feet further than their personal bests on the year to qualify for Area.

The JV Indians blew away the field in Early, scoring an astounding 190 team points on their way to receiving a district championship plaque.

Indian track coach Jeffery Roemisch is excited about how the Indians are performing right now and said that because of the senior leadership on the team, the future is bright for Indian track.

“We have some seniors that have not stopped working this year, and because of that the younger guys work even harder.”

Coach Roemisch also stressed the unselfishness of the students in the track program and how it’s taken some time to get to where they are now.

“We have a lot of guys that want to compete and get points for their team,” Roemisch said. “Even if they are not the fastest or strongest, they want to see the team succeed. Because of this fact, we have 47 athletes in the boys program this year. Also, we have been continually getting faster and better able to physically handle harder workouts. Along with the weight program and workouts, we have continually been getting faster the past 4 or 5 years.”

The Comanche Maidens placed fourth in the district meet and qualified six girls to the Area meet. Gracy Schulte was the only athlete who qualified for area in an individual event, as the young freshman placed 4th in the 1600m run. The 4×200 relay, who is composed of Vicki Lopez, Autumn Bill, Danielle Wendt, and Jazmin Juarez, placed 3rd in district. Bill, Lopez, Wendt, and Schulte also put together the Maiden 4×400 relay, and Wendt barely edged out Bangs at the finish line on the final lap for fourth place and an Area meet birth.

Maiden junior Mandy Carter captured the bronze medal in shot put, and will compete against some tough competition at Area.

The Maidens are very young, as five of the seven girls that qualified are all freshmen, with Bill and Carter being the only upperclassman as juniors.

As for the Maiden JV track team, they put together an impressive performance to claim second place at the meet.

The Area track meet will be held at Jim Ned High School on Wednesday, April 19, with the field events starting at 1:00 and the running scheduled to start at 6:00. Go support and cheer on the Indians and Maidens to regionals!