Boys golf places sixth at regionals, Middleton qualifies for state

Bronte Hermesmeyer, Editor

The Comanche Indian golf team competed at the regional tournament at Shady Oaks Golf Course in Baird, Texas on April 24-25.

The team placed sixth out of sixteen teams. The top three teams advance to state, so the Indians barely missed out on a chance to compete at the state tournament in Austin this May. However, all five members of the team will be back next year, and there are a few junior high golfers that will help the Indian team next year. Members of the team are freshman Kasey Middleton, sophomores Jaret Pate, Kade Mercer, Thomas Ramirez, and junior Bronte Hermesmeyer.

The team totaled a 344 on the first day of play, putting them in eighth place and within 10 shots from third place going into day two. Pate shot 102, Mercer 95, Ramirez 99, Hermesmeyer 76, Middleton 74. Also, Middleton sat in third place individually and Hermesmeyer in fifth place.

On the second and final round of competition, the team improved ten strokes while shooting a 334 on day two. This gave them a two day total of 678, placing them sixth among the region’s best golf teams. Pate shot 91, Mercer 90, Ramirez 100, Hermesmeyer 81, Middleton 72. Middleton finished third overall and will advance to the state tournament as an individual. Hermesmeyer lost in a playoff on the second hole for a chance to advance to the state tournament.

The state tournament will be played in Austin at Grey Rock Golf Club on May 22-23.