Indian baseball throttles Stanton to win bi-district championship

Bronte Hermesmeyer, Editor

The Comanche Indian baseball team took the first two games out of a best of three series against the Stanton Buffaloes during the bi-district round of the 3A playoffs. They defeated Stanton 10-0 in game one and 17-1 in game two.

In game one, the Indians used timely hitting and aggressive base running to down the Buffaloes at Crutcher Scott Field at Abilene Christian University.

The Indians jumped out to an early lead in the bottom of the second inning with a long two-out rally. With two outs, Collin Davis singled and then stole second base with Trendon Morin up to the plate. Morin then hit a single to right field to score Davis and give the Indians the lead. Later in the inning, Casey Beaty hit an RBI single to left field to drive in Morin which put the Indians up 2-0 after two innings. The Indians then went on to score four runs in both the fourth and fifth innings to secure a 10-0 game one victory.

Dillian Bill pitched all five innings in game one for Comanche. Bill only allowed one hit and sat down six Buffalo batters in his five-inning appearance. Bill’s curveball seemed to be on point in game one, as he had Stanton chasing balls in the dirt every inning.

Beaty, who went 2-2 with three RBIs, a walk, and three runs scored in game one, said it was very important to win the first game and put pressure on the opposing Stanton team.

“We knew that winning game one would give us a huge advantage in the series,” Beaty said. “It gave us the momentum and put the pressure on Stanton. We just knew that we had to play to our potential to win the game and we did that. We put the ball in play at the right times, and we were able to make plays when we needed to.”

In game two, Comanche showed why they were back-to-back district champions. They brought their bats with them ready to hit Saturday afternoon at McMurry University’s Walt Diggers Field. The Indians erupted for six runs in the top of the first inning. Ty McCullough led off with a single and then stole two consecutive bases to reach third. Then, Trenton Strickland grounded out to shortstop to drive in McCullough. Joe Gilligan had a big at bat during the inning, as he drove a pitch to the left field wall to drive in two runs.

The Indian bats remained hot for the rest of the day. Comanche proceeded to score two runs in the second and third and exploded for seven runs in the fourth inning which awarded the Indians a 17-1 victory and a Bi-District Championship.

The starting pitcher for the Indians on Saturday was Trenton Strickland. Strickland allowed one run in three innings pitched. Stanton was threatening to score runs each inning, but Strickland found a way to limit the damage and only allow one run on the day. Trendon Morin and Jeremy Bostick also pitched one inning a piece, and neither allowed a run.

Gilligan, who went 2-3 with two doubles, three RBIs, and was hit by a pitch twice, said that the Indians are ready for the second round matchup with a very good Peaster team.

“Getting out of Round 1 and winning a Bi-District Championship is definitely a milestone,” Gilligan said. “But we’re not close to done. It’s just one step on a road that hopefully won’t end for a couple of weeks. Also, we are playing with a lot of confidence heading into our next series against Peaster. We know what we can do and now we just have to go out there and prove to everyone what that is. We’re not done yet. Round 1 is just the beginning.”

Indian head coach Tyler Talley is excited about the win and proud of his team. He said that it was great to get the win after last year’s early exit in the playoffs.

“It feels great to get a playoff win,” Talley said. “The guys have worked hard this year, and I am happy that they were able to achieve that goal. Last year it was hard on everyone with the season ending like it did. It was nice to see the guys go out and take care of business like they knew they could.  We need to go in to this series with confidence and play great baseball.”

This Friday, May 12  and Saturday,  May 13 the Indians will square off against the Peaster Greyhounds in a three game set that will be played in Glen Rose. Game one will begin at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, and game two will be played at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday.  Game three, if necessary, will begin 30 minutes after game two.  Ticket prices will be $5 for adults and $3 for students.  Come out and support your Comanche Indians in the Area round of the playoffs!