Ag mechanics team brings home honors for work on trailer, scraper projects

Seniors+Hunter+Ellis%2C+Jeffrey+Abbey%2C+and+Clayton+Martin+with+the+pig+trailer+they+built+
Seniors Hunter Ellis, Jeffrey Abbey, and Clayton Martin with the pig trailer they built

Jeffrey Abbey, Reporter

The ag mechanics team consisting of seniors Jeffrey Abbey, Hunter Ellis, Clayton Martian and juniors Wyatt Welch, Frank Moerman, Billy Scheller, and Matthew Hamilton recently competed in several ag mechanics shows across the state of Texas.

The teams began working on the two projectrs, a low profile pig trailer and a heavy duty 10 foot scraper, at the end of December during the first semester.

“I learned a lot from the project,” Moerman said. “It was great to create something that can be used later on.”

The team spent many late nights at the ag shop completing the build and putting the final touches on the projects before each show.

Billy Scheller, Frank Moerman and Wyatt Welch with the scraper they built in ag mechanics.

“I wish we would have started a bit earlier,” Scheller said. “But in the end it all worked out and I was glad that we did well with the projects.”

The projects have competed in shows at the Houston Livestock and Rodeo, Sul Ross University, A & M Kingsville University, and Blinn.

“I’m very proud of these boys, they put in a lot of hard work this year,” ag teacher Phillip Beard said. “I would put them up against anyone in the state.”

The trailer received blue ribbons at each show, as well as winning grand champion project at Sul Ross. The scraper also received blue ribbons at every show, finishing sixth in its division at the Houston Livestock Show and winning its class at Kingsville and its division at Blinn.