FFA members receive awards at annual banquet

FFA Scholarship winners Molly Stephens, Jeffrey Abbey, Libby Latham and Hunter Ellis (not pictured Clayton Martin)

Westin Abbey, Reporter

The Comanche FFA held their annual awards banquet on May 4. Several seniors received scholarships and various honors were given to several students for their contributions to the FFA program.

The Star Greenhand award was given to freshman Cordell Fishback. This honor is given to a first year FFA member who has demonstrated leadership. Fishback was extremely active in the program taking part in fundraising and competing in Career and Land Development Events.

Sophomore Robert Stephens was named the Star Chapter Farmer for his outstanding work in supervised production agriculture.

The DeKalb Award considered the FFA chapter’s highest honor was given to senior Jeffrey Abbey for his excellence in academics, leadership, and agricultural work experience.

In addition, Abbey and seniors Molly Stephens, Libby Latham, Hunter Ellis, and Clayton Martin all received college scholarships.

Martin said he plans to use his scholarship to attend Tarleton to major in mechanical engineering.

“I really appreciate any money I can get toward college expenses,” Martin said. “I have learned many great skills in ag mechanics class and FFA that I think will help me pursue my goals after graduation.”

The chapter also added Wayne and Amy Moerman to the list of Honorary Comanche FFA Members for their continued support of agricultural education and the Comanche FFA program.