Students compete in UIL contests

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students compete in UIL contests

Students who placed at the UIL Academic Meet in Brownwood

Gracy Schulte, Reporter

Several CHS students recently competed in the Brownwood UIL Academic Invitational Meet for their first contest of the season. 

At the meet, students participated in a wide variety of competitions including a number of mathematics, speaking, and writing events.

Senior Zachary Foster placed second individually in Number Sense and was apart of the Mathematics team, which also placed second and included Dev Bhatka, Christian Mallory, Vianey Rangel, and Suren Bhatka.

“I feel like we’re going to have a strong mathematics team this year,” Foster said. “Placing second as a team was great, but it can never hurt to keep improving”

Senior Jennifer Anaya competed in Informative Speaking and won first place and juniors Alex and Cassie Duran placed individually fifth and sixth.

In the writing events, junior Gracy Schulte placed fourth in Headline Writing and senior Austin Hagood placed sixth in Feature Writing.

CX debaters Emily Haught and Kolton Frazier returned with second place team and Reade Barber and Aaron Barnett placed fifth.

“I’ve worked with Emily for three years now and I’m confident we will do great,” Frazier said. “We have a large briefcase with lots of evidence to use for this years’ topic”

The teams will compete for more hardware next month on Feb. 16 in Lampasas.