Stephens wins Polled Hereford Champion at Fort Worth

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kade Mercer, Reporter

Comanche High School junior Ryan Stephens recently was awarded breed champion of the Polled Hereford class at the 123rd Fort Worth Stock Show.

Ryan and his steer named “Berreta” beat out over 135 other competitors in the same class.

“This was the biggest accomplishment in my showing career and it was nice to see my hard work pay off,” Stephens said.

Stephens sold his steer for $44,000 to HEB  and got to meet the president of the company Scott B. McClelland. He plans to use the money to pay his college tuition.

“It was a cool experience getting to meet the company’s presiden,  as well as to receive the money as a reward for all the time I have put into this,” Stephens said.

Stephens purchased the steer from Bradley Hale out of Miami, Tx. 

“My family and I had done business with Mr. Hale before and were confident in the steer especially because we had the guidance of Roy Shackelford (a former CHS ag teacher) in the purchase of Berreta,” Stephens said.

Winning at Fort Worth is not a new accomplishment for the Stephens family. In 2016,  Ryan’s sister Molly also won breed champion at the show.

“My sister and I both winning this award at the same show made the experience that much sweeter,” Stephens said.  

Stephens who has been showing since he was in the third grade said the process has taught him the value of hard work.

“It takes great preparation to be ready for Fort Worth,” Stephens said. “We have to wash the steer six days a week and prepare them to be in top condition.”

The work for Stephens does not end here though. He plans to show his other three steers at venues such as Houston, San Antonio, and Houston.

As Ryan continues to travel this showing season, he will look to continue his success and continue to make a name for himself in the stock show community.