Track teams perform well at home meet

Gracy Schulte, Reporter

The 2019 Redskin Relays were recently  held at the Comanche High School track.

Of the six total teams that competed, the varsity boys placed second overall and several individuals also brought home medals.

Sophomore Harrison Kolb ran a 43.9 in the 300m hurdles and won the race by one-hundredth of a second.

“I was really content with my performance in my races,” Kolb said. “I broke my personal record in the 300m hurdles by a few seconds.”

Sophomore distance runner Juan Hernandez won gold in the 1600m run with a time of 5:10 and silver in the 3200m run with a recorded time of 11:46.

“I’m still increasing my mileage to get myself in good shape for the two-mile,” Hernandez said. “I’m doing some of our cross country workouts from this past season.”

Seven individuals or relay teams on the JV track team placed first. The JV team also finished 66 points ahead of the second place school to win the track meet.

Junior Devon Price ran the first place times of 18.53 and 46.69 in the 110m hurdles as well as the 300m hurdle race.

“I know for a fact that my form needs to improve a lot more,” Price said. “I know if I can improve my form, improvement in my times will follow.”

Junior Santos Espinosa placed third in the 3200 meter with a time of 12:51 and won the 1600m race. 

“After I finished my two-mile, I felt like I could have finished harder than I did,” Espinosa said. “Sometimes when you’re in the moment you can’t always tell how much harder you can push.”

Logan Wilkerson placed first in the 200m dash with a time 25.060 and was part of the winning 4x100m and 4x200m relay races which had times of 48.620 and 1:40.02.

“Short distance is what I’m best at, so I try and stay in races below the 400,” Wilkerson said. “I’m proud of our relay teams, but I know we can improve.”

The JV girls also placed first of six teams with a lead of 51 points.

Freshman Aeverie Seegmiller ran a 1:10 in the 400m and also placed second in the pole vault reaching a height of six feet six inches.

“I’m still working with Coach Hermesmeyer on my vaulting form,” Seegmiller said. “I work with him most days after school if we don’t have late running practices.”

Chayse Wilson placed first in the long jump with a jump of 13 feet and seven inches, only to turn around and compete in the high jump where she placed fourth.

“As a freshman, I think I have been doing well this season,” Wilson said. “There is definitely more competition in high school than there was in junior high.”

Freshmen Kenzey Brawley and Emmalee Barnett, along with sophomore Dana Zepeda,  finished one after another in the 300m hurdles with third, fourth, and fifth.

“I was really looking to set a new personal best in the 300 hurdles,” Zepeda said. “I still have one more meet until district to do it though.”

The varsity girls placed second in the meet. 

In the 100m dash, junior Victoria Lopez and freshmen Madelyn Martin and Araceli Ramirez placed second, third and fourth with times of 13.43, 13.46, and 13.55.

“With all the other events I was in, I’m proud of second place,” Lopez said. “Balancing softball and track can be tough, but it’s only making me a better athlete”

Junior Gracy Schulte placed fourth with a time of 2:43 in the 800m.

“This was actually the first track meet this year I participated in because I strained adductors in both legs,” Schulte said. “I’m happy with how I did, but I definitely need to keep improving”

The varsity girls received second in the 4x100m and the 4x400m relays.

The Maidens and Indians will compete on Thursday, Mar. 28 at the Heart of Texas Relays in Brady.