Two students qualify for State UIL Academic Meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Kade Mercer and Austin Hagood will represent CHS at the UIL State Academic Meet

Austin Hagood, Editor

The UIL Academic Regional Qualifiers recently traveled to Abilene Christian University for the AAA-Region 1 meet. Seniors Kade Mercer and Austin Hagood both qualified to move on to the state meet.

Hagood received second place in the Headline Writing event, while Mercer placed third in News Writing. They will both be attending the UIL State Academic Meet in Austin on May 3.

“I was really shocked when I learned I would move on,” Hagood said. “This was my last year to compete as a senior, and I am very glad to finally receive this opportunity to compete.”

This is Mercer’s first year to compete at this level of competition in an academic event.

“I am excited to be able to compete at the state meet,” Mercer said. “This is my first time to go in an academic competition.”

This is the twelfth consecutive year that students from the CHS journalism program have qualified for the state meet.

Previous qualifiers include Madison Hagood who won a state championship in Feature Writing in 2015 and last year’s graduates Joe Gilligan who placed third and Caden Jones who placed fifth at state in Editorial Writing, as well as Bronte Hermesmeyer who qualified for state two consecutive years in both News and Feature Writing.

“I look forward to seeing how this year’s journalism students do at state,” journalism coach Leanne Ingram said. “These two students are smart and talented; I believe they have a chance to bring home a medal and continue the success our school has had at the state meet.”

Freshman EmmaLee Barnett also placed fifth in Ready Writing at regionals, but only the top three competitors advance to state. 

EmmaLee Barnett placed 5th at the Regional UIL contest in Ready Writing.