Licea, Olvera travel to Washington, D.C. for SkillsUSA Leadership Institute

Back to Article
Back to Article

SkillsUSA students, Randy Licea and Elian Olvera meet with a representative from US Representative Mike Conaway's office at the Capital in Washington, D.C.

Judith Moreno, Reporter

Two SkillsUSA members and their adviser, Eddy Parker, recently traveled to Washington, D.C. to partake in the annual Washington Leadership Training Institute (WLTI).

Sophomore Elian Olvera and junior Randy Licea completed their Texas Statesman Award through a SkillsUSA summer camp which earned them an invitation to WLTI.

“Elian and I worked hard to earn our Texas Statesman Award through lots of preparation and determination,” Licea said. “Receiving an invitation to Washington, D.C. made me feel prideful in both myself and the group as we now have the chance to obtain a higher degree of leadership.”

Members from throughout the entire nation attended the week-long conference and participated in activities such as sight-seeing at the Capital, meeting with U.S. Representatives, and leadership training.

“I am very grateful to have had such a great opportunity to represent CHS,” Olvera said. “I found all the activities fun and very exciting to be apart of.”

After three days of leadership training, members took a written test, were interviewed, and completed their National Statesman Award.

Olvera and Licea both successfully completed and received this honor.