Fall blood drive collects 45 units

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fall blood drive collects 45 units

Elizabeth Hancock

Elizabeth Hancock

Elizabeth Hancock

Elizabeth Hancock, Reporter

The health science classes recently hosted the annual fall blood drive, which gives students the chance to donate blood, save a life, and earn their red cord to wear at graduation.

Many students donated blood and 45 units were collected for the Hendrick Blood Bank. 

Senior Carly Rodriguez is one of many seniors hoping to earn the red cords to wear at graduation by donating blood at least twice this year.

“The fall blood drive was a huge success,” school nurse Betty Molk said. “Thanks to CHS students, teachers, staff, and community members. It is amazing to see how many students are willing to help save a life.”

Senior Ricardo Sanchez gave blood for the first time.

“I gave so I could help someone in need and also receive my red cord,” Ricardo said.

In order to receive that cord to wear during graduation, students must donate their own blood twice during their senior year or find four donors to give blood on their behalf.

Students from the health science classes were in charge of organizing and conducting the blood drive.

“It was very eye-opening and busy, but I’m glad to be apart of it,” junior Ashley Guerrero said. “It’s nice seeing people do something for the greater good.”

Students from the health science classes organized and conducted the recent fall blood drive.