Hernandez advances to regional cross country

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Juan Hernandez will represent CHS at the regional cross country meet. He placed 8th at the recent district meet.

Carly Rodriguez, Reporter

The cross country teams traveled to Hamilton to compete at the district meet. The JV girls won the district championship and had two individuals place in the top ten- freshman Ashlyn Grayson (4th) and sophomore Cristina Soria (7th).

The JV girls’ cross country team won the district title.

“It felt amazing knowing the JV girls worked hard all season and were able to be the first place team at district,” Grayson said. “I really worked my hardest at district to compete well for myself and my team.”

The varsity girls had several runners fighting injury at district and were unable to advance to regionals as a team this year.

“Team-wise, things didn’t turn out the way we wanted it to and it was kind of a disappointing end to the season for the varsity girls’ and the boys’ teams,” head cross country coach Aven Talley said.

Junior Juan Hernandez placed 8th with a time of 18:25 on the three mile course and will represent CHS at the regional meet.

“Having ran the course before district really helped me become familiar with the terrain and with some of the runners from our district,” Hernandez said. “For me, I thought this was a pretty moderate course to run on, but I know the regional course will be a real challenge.”

To much surprise, seniors and three-time regional qualifiers Gracy Schulte and Marco Ramirez did not advance a fourth time.

“It was definitely tough crossing the finish line and knowing I had just finished my last high school cross country race, but having Marco [Ramirez] understand how I feel and being there for me has really helped me,” Schulte said. “I’m still somewhat at a loss for words when people from the community ask what happened and why I didn’t qualify for regionals.”

The varsity boys’ team placed fourth just two points behind third-place Dublin.

“Unfortunately our team didn’t advance, but our teammate Juan made it to regionals, so the rest of the team is really excited for him to represent Comanche at the regional meet and we want to support him as much as we can,” Ramirez said.

Hernandez will compete at regionals on Monday, Oct 28 at Mae Simmons Park in Lubbock.

Complete district cross country results are below:

Varsity Boys: Juan Hernandez, 8th (18:25), Regional Qualifier; Marco Ramirez, 11th (1840), Omero Arredondo, 13th (18:51)

Varsity Girls: Gracy Schulte, 14th (14:18)

JV Girls: Ashlyn Grayson, 4th (15:10); Cristina Soria, 7th (16:28); Monica Ramos, 11th (16:57); Savina Sanchez 15th (17:35)

JV Boys: Tony Leos, 13th (22:04); Matthew Till, 21st (26:29)