Band receives superior rating at marching festival

Back to Article
Back to Article

Judith Moreno, Reporter

The Indian marching band recently traveled to Seymour to perform in the annual Seymour Marching Festival where they received a superior division one rating.

“Going into the festival, I felt we had a good chance of doing well because the band was getting better with each day, each practice, and each performance,” head band director Brad Roberts said. “The students were showing a good focus and determination to do well.

The brass section was awarded the “Most Outstanding Brass” award.

“I was excited for our brass section,” Roberts said. “There are good players and leaders in that section.”

The festival was as a practice run for the band as they prepare for the UIL Region Marching Competition on Saturday, Oct. 19.

“After the Seymour Festival we have seen some areas that need to be improved before we march at UIL on Saturday,” assistant band director Travis Bryant said. “Music is always the main focus, but we will spend much time on the marching fundamentals and getting the forms, spacing, everyone in step, transitions, all things visual to make it as clean as we can,” Bryant said.

The festival was Bryant’s first competition back with the Indian band after having previously served as head band director from the years 1987 – 1994.

“I am excited to be back in Comanche after 25 years away,” Bryant said. “So many things have changed, and yet they are so many that are the same. To be the assistant and see the growth of the program and how much the two of us can get done makes it even more exciting and fulfilling.”