New organization forms for students interested in medical field

Back to Article
Back to Article

Yoanna Esquivel, Reporter

A new student organization has recently been chartered at CHS. The Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA) is open to any student who plans to enter the medical field upon graduation or just wants to learn more about it.

HOSA, which is under the supervision of health science teacher and LVN Betty Molk, plans to volunteer around the community by doing activities such as playing games with nursing home residents, completing projects for hospital employees, and job shadowing at the Comanche County Medical Center.

“I feel really honored to be a part of HOSA, I think it will help me when applying for college,” junior Ashley Guerrero said. “We haven’t done much yet, but we are slowly building up.”

Since its inception in 1976, HOSA has 245,000 members in many parts of the world and has chartered groups in locations such as the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, Germany, and Italy

HOSA’s goal is to provide students with training far beyond the basic technical skills needed for entry into the health care field. The rapidly changing health care system needs dedicated workers who, in addition to their technical skills, are people-oriented and capable of playing a leadership role as a member of a health care team.

“Being in HOSA, I hope will be beneficial in the long run and I hope it will allow me to connect with the community,” junior Jennifer Balderas said.

Senior Edna Zepeda said she is looking forward to the networking opportunities the new club might provide.

“I believe HOSA will help me experience what is like to be in the medical field and build connections that might lead to jobs later on,” Zepeda said.

HOSA’s elected officers are as follows:  Kassandra Torres (president), Reade Barber (vice president), Melissa Lopez (secretary), Daniella Meras (treasurer), Lynzie Day (reporter), Angelica Hernandez (historian), and Ashley Guerrero (parliamentarian).