Band advances to Area marching competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Joe Prado

Joe Prado

Joe Prado

Courtney Wright, Reporter

The Comanche Indian marching band recently traveled to Mineral Wells to perform at the UIL Region Marching Contest on Saturday, Oct. 19.

The Indian band received a Division 1 Superior rating from all three judges.

The band last advanced to the area marching competition thirteen years ago in 2006, so after receiving their results from the judges they celebrated with hugs and tears of joy.

“I was thrilled for the entire program,” assistant band director Travis Bryant said. “It was a joy to see the students celebrate. And it was very cool seeing so many of the seniors in tears upon hearing the news. I know how much they wanted to advance and I saw the work they put in to do it, especially these past couple of weeks.”

The group will now compete at Area on Saturday, Oct. 26 at Denton’s C.H. Collins Athletic Complex.

“Now,I hope that momentum continues as we move on to the Area contest,”  Bryant said. “As I told the band this week – ‘Do the work!’ and if they continue working as hard as they have been, I feel we have a shot at making the finals.  Anyone that makes finals at Area has the chance to go on to state! GO BAND!”

According to band director Brad Roberts, advancing to Area, has been one of the band’s main goals.

“I was very excited and proud of our band’s success at UIL marching contest,” head band director Brad Roberts said. ” I have been wanting our students to experience area, so it is very exciting for us to finally accomplishment that task.  I loved seeing the band kids hug, cheer, and celebrate when the results were announced.  I loved seeing the juniors and seniors get emotional when realizing they had met the goal of advancing in their final opportunity.”

The band will perform at 10:15 am. They will compete against 22 other bands and the top 10 will make it to the finals. From there, only four will advance to state.