The area marching competition experience

Back to Article
Back to Article

Courtney Wright, Reporter

The band recently traveled to Denton, Texas for the area B marching contest on Saturday, Oct. 19. This was the band’s first time to qualify for the area contest since 2006.

The band competed against 22 other teams, and while they did not place in the top four teams and move on to the next round, the group was ecstatic to continue their season and represent CHS.

“Over all, the week before area we saw an improvement over the performance at region,” assistant band director Travis Bryant said. “We concentrated more on the marching at the beginning of the week, and as a result, our music playing suffered a little bit. As the week went on, the playing and the marching were both elevated to another level. I am very proud of the way the students performed under some difficult circumstances.”

The band left early Friday afternoon to travel to Rio Vista for the football game. They stayed for the first two quarters and performed at halftime. Once the third quarter started, the band loaded up and traveled to Denton where they stayed in a hotel the night before their contest.

“I am especially proud of how well the students behaved in Denton at the hotel Friday night and Saturday morning,” Bryant said. “They showed much respect for the hotel staff, our sponsors, and for each other. Overall, the CHS Band represented our community and school in stellar fashion.”

Many of the bands who placed in the top four and advanced on to the state round continually qualify each year.

“Going into Area, I felt a bit anxious and nervous, but once we marched onto the field I regained confidence and was able to perform to the best of my ability,” trumpet section leader Judith Moreno said. “Many of the other bands who were present at the area competition are seasoned veterans and it was an honor to have performed along side them.”

Although the band did not advance to finals, they plan to continue to work hard to go far in the upcoming years.

“After this years’ progress and seeing what the band is capable of, our band will see greater success because of the experience we had making it to area,” junior trombone player Josue Morales said.

The four schools who advanced to state were Holliday (Area Champions), Van Alstyne (2nd Place), Whitesboro (3rd Place), Howe (Advanced to State), and Eastland (First Alternate).