FFA students attend leadership contest

Back to Article
Back to Article

FFA students attend leadership contest

Members of the Area qualifying Greenhand Agricultural Skills team:  Sena Savage, Travis Sanders, and Robert Sierra (Cade Bauman, not pictured)

Members of the Area qualifying Greenhand Agricultural Skills team: Sena Savage, Travis Sanders, and Robert Sierra (Cade Bauman, not pictured)

Carly Rodriguez, Reporter

The Comanche Future Farmers of America Program traveled to compete in the Cross Timbers District Leadership Development Event (LDE) contest on Monday, Nov. 11.

The LDE allows students to experience real-life scenarios and gives students the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities of public speaking, decision making, communication, and their knowledge of agriculture and the FFA organization.

The contest consisted of 18 schools who all competed in the following events: Greenhand Agricultural Skills Demonstration, Greenhand FFA Quiz, Senior FFA Quiz, FFA Broadcasting, Job Interview, Senior FFA Creed Speaking, Jr. FFA Creed Speaking, and Spanish Creed speaking.

“Mr. Killen [FFA Sponsor] and I are extremely proud of all these students who worked extremely hard to prepare for their contests,” FFA sponsor Blake Berry said. “We could not have asked for a better group of kids to train in our first semester at CHS and are looking forward to our spring career development event season.”

The Greenhand Agricultural Skills Demonstration including Robert Sierra, Cade Bauman, Travis Sanders, and Ethan Morin placed second at the contest and advanced to area where they placed 11th.  This event requires students to give a demonstration of an agricultural skill including anything in the agricultural science and technology curriculum by showcasing their knowledge through public speaking and communication skills.

“We got 11th out of 12th,” freshman Robert Sierra said. “Which isn’t as bad as it seems because we competed with the kids in our surrounding areas, which is made up of about twenty schools. We did really good considering it was the first time for all of us.”

The rest of the teams placed as followed:

Greenhand FFA Quiz- (5th) Team: Sena Savage, Andrea Pollock, and Diego Gonzalez
Senior FFA Quiz – (6th) Team: Makenna Osinga, Lynzie Day, Harrison Sides, and Hope McGinnis
FFA Broadcasting – (6th) Team: Landrie Day, Morgan Lowry, and Cordell Fishback
Several individuals placed as well:
Summer Furlong- Job Interview (4th) and FFA Creed Speaking (7th)
Sena Savage- Jr. FFA Creed Speaking (8th)
Diego Gonzales- Spanish Creed Speaking (3rd)