Indians fall in bi-district round to City View

Back to Article
Back to Article

Courtney Wright, Reporter

The Indians came up one point short and fell to the City View Mustangs, 26-27,in the bi-district round of the playoffs.

Penalties and mistakes late in the game hurt the Indians who jumped out to an early lead over the Mustangs.

Junior running back Logan Wilkerson ran for 113 yards on 18 carries while junior Oscar Rios carried the ball into the end zone twice for Comanche.

“I was pretty happy about the season,” Rios said.  “I worried it was going to be a slow year, but we did make it to the playoffs,” Rios said. “I think we are going to be even better next year.”

Sophomore quarterback Hudson Welch had one of his best games of the year, completing five of seven passes for 74 yards, including a 21-yard pass to Taelon Sorrells on a fake punt in the first quarter. Sorrells also recovered a on-side kick during the game.

“I thought we played better than we were expected to,” Sorrells said. “I’m looking forward to next year. This was the first time on varsity for many of the guys, so next year we should be more efficient on offense.”

Defensively, sophomore RJ Pepper led the team with seven tackles, while junior Bryce Hermesmeyer and senior Braxton Patterson each had six.

The Indians ended their season 5-6 overall and 3-2 in district play.

“It was kind of a shocker; we were leading and I really thought we had it,” Hermesmeyer said. “Then out of no where, they scored and we didn’t get the win. We have to move on and prepare for next year. We are only losing one senior on defense and three on offense, so I think we will be pretty good next year and will have an experienced team.”