Band members qualify for All Region, Area

Courtney Wright, Reporter

Nine students recently traveled to Graham to audition for the All Region Band– Courtney Wright, Vianey Rangel, Matthew Steele, Grace Gifford, Peyton Pierce, Taylor Berends, Dexter Young, Korbin Grimes, and Matthew Till.

Out of those nine, Wright, Rangel, Steele, Berends, Young, Grimes, and Till qualified for the regional band.

Wright, Young, and Grimes also advanced to audition for the All Area Band.

Senior Dexter Young received sixth chair trombone at regionals and was named to the Honors Band; Young also advanced to area for his first time in his high school career.

“It was very exciting when I found out,” Young said. “I wasn’t surprised when I saw I advanced, but I wouldn’t say I was expecting it either. I was confident in my playing skills because of how much I had practiced. I knew I had to start practicing more, so I could place well once I got to area.”

Senior Courtney Wright received first chair flute in the symphonic band and advanced to All Area for the third consecutive year.

“It felt good to advance to area again,” Wright said. “I’m happy that I got to go with another senior, because that made the experience more enjoyable knowing that we grew up together and got to where we are together.”

Freshman Korbin Grimes received first chair tuba in the symphonic band and was the only freshman to advance to All Area.