Powerlifters compete at Dublin Meet

Carly Rodriguez, Reporter

The powerlifting team traveled to Dublin to compete in their annual meet.

The boys’ and girls’ teams had several students place individually and both teams placed in the top 10 of 17 schools.

The girls’ team placed third and senior Carly Rodriguez brought home gold in the 198 lb class with a total of 735 lbs.

“Showing up to the meet was a little intimidating since it was my first one in a while, and I didn’t know what to expect from the other lifters in my weight class,” Rodriguez said. “After they finally posted the standings, I was suddenly in first place. I realized if I kept working, I could go home with a first place medal- and I did. Hopefully, I’ll come home with another at the Comanche Meet.”

Senior Leticia Salas placed second in the 220 weight class with a total of 720 lbs.

“I showed up and I tried my best,” Salas said. “Placing as a team was great and overall I had a good time.”

In the 148 lb weight class, junior Emily Guerrero also placed second.

“I’m going to keep working hard and keep pushing myself,” Guerrero said. “This is a good way to start the year and it only gets better from here.”

In her first meet, sophomore Aevrie Seegmiller lifted 440 lbs in the 105 weight class and finished with a silver medal.

“I think I did very good considering it was my first meet,” Seegmiller said. “I was nervous at first, but after we started competing, I relaxed and started to have a good time.”

The boys’ team placed 7th and three individuals brought home medals..

Senior Jeron Conine placed second in the super heavy weight class and lifted 1405 lbs.

“It was a great meet and both teams did really well,” Conine said. “I’m looking forward to the Comanche meet and seeing how much we all improve.”

In the 148 lb class, junior Aaron Suniga placed third.

“For the first meet in a long time it went really well,” Suniga said. “I was very proud of myself, our teams, and all the freshmen who went out and competed.”

One of those freshman  was Seth Clemons who secured a fourth place finish in the 132 lb class.

“I was nervous until I did my first lift, and then after that it was pretty exciting,” Clemons said. “I was impressed with my total considering I didn’t know who my competition was going to be. a When I realized that I stood a chance to compete  for a medal with these other kids, it pushed me to work harder.”

The next meet will be Thursday, Jan. 30 in Comanche at the CHS gym. Lifting starts around 4 pm.