Band, choir perform well at Solo & Ensemble

Taylor Berends

7 students advance to the state UIL Solo & Ensemble contest in Austin.

Courtney Wright, Reporter

Taylor Berends
23 students participated in the annual UIL Solo & Ensemble contest in Stephenville (not pictured: Jessika Covey).

The band and choir students recently traveled to Stephenville to participate in the annual UIL Solo and Ensemble Contest, hoping to advance to the state competition.

“I was very pleased with our UIL solo & ensemble results,” band director Brad Roberts said. “We had nine division 1 superior and five division 2 excellent ratings.”

In Five events, seven different students qualified for State Solo & Ensemble.

“Our students continue to improve their performance, sound, technique, and musicianship,”  Roberts said. “Keep up the good work!”

The students will continue to work on their piece for the state contest to be held on May 30 and June 1.

“The trumpet trio I am apart of has earned division 1 ‘superior’ ratings since our freshmen year which makes us very proud,” senior Judith Moreno said. “This is our second year to advance to the state level and we are very driven to perfect our piece for the state competition.”

All those that participated were:

Seniors: Clarissa Limon, Vicki Lopez (state qualifier), Judith Moreno (state qualifier), Jose Rangel (state qualifier), Carly Rodriguez, Matthew Steele (state qualifier), Jasmine Valencia, Courtney Wright (state qualifier), and Dexter Young (state qualifier)

Juniors: Leeah Alapic, Reade Barber, and Kolbey Robinson

Sophomores: Omero Arrendondo, EmmaLee Barnett, and Melissa Lopez

Freshmen: Jessika Covey, Grace Gifford, Korbin Grimes (state qualifier), Lance Kellems, Payton Pierce, Sophie Prado, Andrea Pollock, and Matthew Till