Licea, Olvera to serve as SkillsUSA District Officers in ’20 – ’21 school year

Cody Feist, Reporter

Eddie Parker
CHS and HRJJH students pictured at the SkillsUSA Texas District 10 Competition in Waco, Tx.

CHS Automotive and HRJ Introduction to Transportation students recently competed at Texas State Technical College (TSTC) in Waco at our annual SkillSUSA Texas District 10 competition. 

Sophomore Elian Olvera and junior Randy Licea were two of the students that participated in the competition.

“Overall we did pretty good, and worked together great as a team,” Licea said. 

Students competed in Automotive Service Technology, Diesel Equipment Technology, Automobile Maintenance and Light Repair, Job Interview, Job Skill Demonstration A, Job Skill Demonstration O, Prepared Speech, Extemporaneous Speaking, Opening and Closing Ceremony, Quiz Bowl, Automotive Trade Tools Identification and Pin Design.

“I participated in reelection for officer, officer selections, and job skill demo,” Licea said. “The competition was tough, but we came prepared.”

Students received 20 gold medals for their first place finishes, three silver medals for their second place finishes, and two bronze medals for their third place medals. 

“In total these students racked up an impressive medal count,” SkillsUSA Texas District 10 Director Eddie Parker said. “Every student did an outstanding job and represented our school and their programs well.”

CHS will be represented at the District level by Licea and Olvera who will be serving once again as District Officers for the 2020 – 2021 school year.

“I’m researching and studying more of the handbook,” Licea said. “ We will continue to work hard and better ourselves however we can.”

Eddie Parker
2020 – 2021 District Officers junior Randy Licea and sophomore Elian Olvera pictured.

Licea and Olvera will be running for State Officer in April. All qualifying students will be heading to Corpus Christi the first week in April for the SkillsUSA Texas State championships.